Monday, April 27, 2009

We did it!

Team Lucy Bug! was once again very successful in this years March of Dimes' March for Babies.  Thank you all for your love, support and donations!
On Friday morning I received a call from J-Lo!  Yes, it was prerecorded and yes I think she 
prefers Jennifer Lopez now but anyway she expressed the need for last minute donations 
and lo and behold, Saturday morning an hour before the march we hit our goal of $1,500!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Aspen & Cody

my sister Caitlin & Leslie

Sabrina & Rebecca

Lucy showed off her freak out skills for all of the participants.  She
was doing her fake sob because she wanted to get out and walk the 3 miles herself. 
We let her walk the final stretch.
Alisa, D and uncle "Binton"

Lucy's poster for Ambassador Ave. - aka my one "scrapbook" page of the year!

Sabrina, me, Rebecca & Heather - thanks ladies

It's all about the bug!

Can I just say I have the MOST amazing, wonderful, loving, supportive, funny, committed group of family and friends.  Lucy is way beyond her prematurity but it will always be a part of her and us.  She's doing everything I was afraid she would never do, she says her ABC's and 
counts to 20 and makes me laugh everyday.  She has no idea that's she's 
far from being on the growth charts but she doesn't care - and either do I.  
She's perfect and she's my daughter.
My pregnancy sucked.  Not because I was uncomfortable or my back hurt or because I couldn't
find anything to wear.  It sucked because it was too short and I missed out on the good parts:
feeling her kick, Blake feeling her kick, visibly being pregnant and having 
fun putting together her nursery.
Lucy's nursery was done when she was in the NICU and we stayed up late painting while I
prayed to myself she would come home soon to see it.
But that's in the past - over two years now.  But some days it still seems so fresh.
Lucy is over it and I don't think she has memories of it.  But I do and so does her feet.
Little tiny white scars on her feet and the top of her hands from iv's, blood work, too many 
pokes for my little girl - but day by day we're past it.

Prematurity and the March of Dimes came to us - not by accident but by a crappy placenta and umbilical cord.
But I'm at the point where I accept what happened and I will continue to do everything I
can to help this cause. It's hard not to accept and move on when I have a living, breathing, healthy, smart, funny miracle in front of me everyday reminding me we're okay.

Thank you for walking, supporting, loving or donating to us and our cause.

10 comments:

Lacey said...

Codi, That was such a beautiful post. All that know you care about you. You are such an amazing person, mom, friend. You have such a sprit about you. I am proud to call you friend.

Mackenzie said...

Congratulations on a job well done! It sounds like it was an impressive turn out for the walk. We'd love to join you all next year for it.

This post was lovely and obviously written from your heart. Funny how these little people change our lives for the better. You have a wonderful family and so much to be grateful for!

caitlin and brinton said...

The walk was great- and I am so glad we hit the goal. I'm so happy to see the positive things you've taken from Lucy's birth and your experiences, like helping MOD and volunteering at the hospital- you're a much stronger person after what happened and I look up to you so much for it.

we love you guys!

caitlin and brinton said...

p.s. holy shiza- blow that pic of everyone up at the top... me+mom=TWINS. weird.

Kim said...

Thank you for letting us be a part of this great event! So happy you reached your goal and even happier that you have such an amazing little girl. I love what you wrote in this post; truly heartfelt and beautiful- Codi, you're a remarkable woman. xoxo Kim

Anonymous said...

I echo Codi's comments and want to thank everyone for their love and support. I am a lucky man to have such a wonderfual family!

Annie said...

We love you Lucy.

Alisa said...

Croz liked the walk, the man on stilts, seeing Lucy, and the band. Oh and the cupcake your mom gave him! We love you guys!

Codi, I love the raw emotion. It is all so in the present... you will be so glad you wrote this down. I love you so much. Keep writing. Lucy will understand everything one day and will thank you for it.

Becca said...

I'm so proud of you Codi! Thanks for letting me be a part of Team Lucy Bug. I love you!

caitlin and brinton said...

holy crap - update your blog already.