Monday, November 28, 2011

Balboa bonanza!

I can't believe it's been over two weeks since we've been back from our trip. I thought about skipping a trip report post because 300+ pictures is daunting. But once I started looking at some of them and thinking about all of the fun we had I knew it must be documented. Enjoy...somehow I managed the patience to upload almost all 300 pictures in this post.

We found a darling house on Balboa Island (near Newport Beach) to rent for the week. We picked this house from the few pictures on vrbo which looked great but you never know what you really end up getting until you're there. Lucky for us it was even better and roomier than we thought. Each family had our own large room so we could retreat at the end of the night if we wanted to. But most of us stayed around the main living space.


My dreams came true when I saw our house had a Dutch door. I've loved these doors so much and almost every house on Balboa has one. It was one of my favorite parts of the house until the very last hour we were there and I hit my head on it and came thisclose to having Blake take me to the hospital...seriously. But it's still darling and I still want one for Christmas!

Balboa is the cutest, most quaint little village. Our house was right around the corner from Marine Avenue which is the main drag through the village. So we'd walk around the corner and pick up coffee, the best sweet rolls ever or a frozen treat at night. If you walked the opposite way from our front porch we were about 5 houses down from a little beach and marina area with a walkway that circles the entire island.


I love looking at houses and when you walk around the island every single house is different. From the tiniest bright yellow cottages to huge palatial villas - every walk we took I saw something else to fall in love with.
Between my sister and I we found plenty of yummy places to eat. Our first night we had delicious Mexican. I don't know if it was the combination of changing time zones (uh, 1 hour is all) and arriving on daylight savings but Lucy seemed to fall asleep in the middle of every dinner.

Our first full day we headed to some tide pools at a nearby beach. It was a beautiful day and we spent quite awhile exploring.





The whole family did one day at Disneyland and then Blake, Lucy and I went back for a second day to stand in line for characters and catch anything we missed. Ten minutes into our first day with the whole family and we ran into Snow White and Cinderella right next to the castle. A magical way to start the day!

besties





Blake could spend all day doing the handful of thrill rides Disney has to offer. Our last three visits or so it's just been the 3 of us so he was thrilled to have a friend. Every chance they got Brinton and Blake were running to rides.

But only after us parade go-ers were properly supplied with cokes, corn dogs and popcorn to watch the best Disney parade ever! Every dream character of Lucy's was in this parade and we had perfect front row seats!

A shot of Toad for Coleman who couldn't make the trip :(

Cruisin!
On Tuesday we decided to rent a Duffy boat and cruise around the island. This was at the top of my list of favorite things on our trip. We had a couple of hours to just cruise around all on our own - you don't have to do anything but pay to be able to rent a boat! Blake was very comfortable in his job as captain and we enjoyed lunch, gawking at homes, listening to good tunes on a sunny afternoon.




Wednesday brought the three of us back to Disneyland and there were more touches of Christmas all around the park. Go in November...it's the best!



Storybookland Boats...now one of Lucy's favorite.



Thursday was breakfast at Ruby's (I love you cinnamon roll french toast) and a beach day. Sand castles, chasing waves, reading and daydreaming.



Our hair is morphing into the same color/style.




Thursday night was a little crazy...Brinton had to head home a little early for work and couldn't get on a plane so he stayed at the airport for 9 hours until we picked him up. My dad and Blake headed to San Diego for a Chargers game and it took them like 7 hours to travel 120 miles away and missed half of the game and the four of us walked all over Fashion Island for our girls' night trying to find someplace to get seated to eat. Kind of a crazy night but we all made it back safe and sound and none of us punched each other out...success!


Brinton and Caitlin headed home Friday morning so my parents and us spent our last full day relaxing around Newport. Every time we're in that area we've driven by the Sherman Library & Gardens on PCH. I've always been intrigued and this time we stopped. Oh my gosh! This is such an amazing place and we spent a good chunk of time wandering and admiring the grounds.


A dream succulent garden.

The gardens were such a treat! Lucy felt like she was in an enchanted garden all to herself. It was like $3. to get in and again, another of my top moments.

To end the trip we had a dinner at The Crab Cooker. Lucy is terrified of crustaceans (lobsters, crabs) and she will scream like a hyena if we have to walk by them in the tank at Dan's - like hysterical scream. So of course we took her to Cooker and right past their case of crustaceans. Lucky for us she only squealed as she ran by but she did show us her crab face outside the restaurant. If you want to see something better than the crab face have Blake show you a video on his phone. On one of our beach days he found a dead crab and chased her around while she ran and screamed until she lost her breath. Blake of course laughed and filmed the whole thing...and that is why we are amazing parents!

Now that I've relived the whole trip....I'm ready to go back!




6 comments:

Lacey said...

OMG BEST post EVER! I LOVE the crab face and must see this video! What a GREAT vacation I am so jealous! Oh and you all have the same hair. LOL

caitlin and brinton said...

Cute post! I miss being warm. And Dis.

Brooke said...

Fun! We have a dutch door, and I hate it. Too many injuries and constant slamming of the various parts of the door. You can have ours when we replace it!

Alisa said...

Oh my gosh! This was soooo much fun to read. Your pictures ALL turned out so beautifully... I love that of you and Blake on the boat, Lucy in polka dots on the beach, and the one on the beach of you, Caitlin, and your mom. What a bunch of memories made, that's what it's all about. That boat ride looks amazing.

Am-Biance said...

Woooowwweee! What a FUN trip. Great pic's, fun places and super yummy food! Great memories. I picture of Lucy with Mickey is a treasure, and of course the Lobster "Face" cracked me right up! Looks like it was a blast...good because you two (well 3)deserve it!!! Loveit!!!
Ummm...Can I just live vicariously through you guys :).please.Ha.
We do need a "playdate night out" soon!!

Kim said...

It was fun reading about your trip and seeing the great pictures. My favorite is Lucy running on the beach! So glad you made great memories and had so much fun. A change of scene is so healthy and you chose a great place to be!