Wednesday, May 27, 2009

i'm bragging

I don't think bragging is a good trait to have - but I guess I have it.
I can't help myself though - every day (well, some days more than others)
I am in awe of this little girl.
Maybe her skillz are normal and I just am not around many kids
but either way - she entertains and impresses me like nothing else.
So her counting and alphabet skills have
surprised me - she picks up on everything so quick.
But this past weekend on vacation I was sitting on the balcony with my
coffee and magazine - Lucy wanders out and says
"hi mom, coffee?"
like she's literally asking to have her own cup.
I tell her "no buggy" but lift her up on the chair next to me as she
eyes my UsWeekly.
I fully expect her to start chatting about the latest celeb gossip
and weigh in on the Jon & Kate drama
but instead she stares at me and starts counting -
in Spanish!
"uno, dos, tres" - yeah, I don't know any Spanish so I don't know the rest -
but she did - all the way until ten!
I asked her how she learned that and she answered "Dora" -
yeah I promise she doesn't watch that much tv.
It's almost scary how well she communicates with me.
She really almost has no baby left in her. In the morning we wake up and I ask
what she wants for breakfast - she puts her index finger to her chin and says, "hmmm,
stwawbewwies, eggies, cake".
Some of her favorite books she'll pretend she's reading the words but she can tell me the
story - "Zoey is sad - Elmo is cwy-ing". It is so sweet to see how intently she studies the pages and figures out what is happening and she's so happy to share with me.
But I think the very best is how she can convey her emotions. The other morning on our trip
I pulled her out of the crib she was sleeping in because I heard her stirring.
It was about five in the morning and she snuggled in with me face to face.
She touched my face and gave me kisses and just smiled,
then with her sleepy eyes and scratchy morning voice she said,
"mommy, I happy"
melt.my.heart.

7 comments:

caitlin and brinton said...

:,-)

Lacey said...

SO SWEET!

Mackenzie said...

Seriously, Codi! You MUST get that top photo of Lucy changed to black and white and enlarged for your wall. She is a gorgeous little girl!!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't even put into words how I feel about the time I spend with Lucy. Yesterday was such a special day for me. One that I will always hold dear to my heart. She is our little nature loving, sweet soul. Love and kisses to all. Gammy.

Sheri said...

Brag away! She is so darn cute! I love to see the growth in her. Goes to show it doesn't matter how small you are when you come into this world. She is a smarty pants that is for sure. You will have your hands full when she is older! Heart breaker! :)

Alisa said...

Aw, made me cry!

Nothing can top those nuzzles.

Mackenzie said...

Mmmmm...churros. How could I forget those??