Wednesday, October 21, 2009

the trip


"the happiest place on earth" -
indeed!

We've had this family trip to Disneyland/Southern California planned
for about a year. Planning is half the fun for me.
And all of the lists, itineraries, countdowns,
anticipations and longing was worth it...
we had an amazing trip!!

We started out our first day in the park with
Minnie & Friends breakfast with my parents.

Watching Lucy meet Minnie and various other characters was possibly the highlight of our trip. Something about that breakfast in the beautiful Plaza Inn on Main Street U.S.A. was the perfect start to our stay.

Both parks are decked out for Halloween this October and since Halloween is pretty much most of my family's favorite holiday we were oohing and aahing over the pumpkins, fall colors and characters dressed in Halloween garb!

Every turn was a Halloween surprise - the Haunted Mansion decked out in all its Halloween/Nightmare Before Christmas glory, Mickey Mouse caramel apples (to die for), the scariest ride ever Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy, jack o' lanterns peering out the windows on Main Street...

I wish it was Halloween all the time!

The villains of Disneyland were all out...and she fit right in!


Lucy with her Minnies!

I think these two only wondered why they married into our family just a few times.

my candy corn girl

Tinkerbell, Fawn & Luce - having her dreams come true!

Okay, so I know Princesses are a big draw and everything but this was
a tad ridiculous. We got in line to see this Enchanted Princess Faire or something
and the line didn't look all that bad. Well about 15 minutes in I ask Blake to
check with a "cast member" on the wait.
An hour.
So, the crowds weren't that bad at Disneyland that day and I figured
we could do a second Haunted Mansion trip, Big Thunder Mtn Railroad
and possibly another churro in the same amount of time.
But we were there for Lucy - mostly.
You don't know which princesses will be on the other side of this
excruciating long line but we took our chances.
My family bolted when they heard the wait time but
Blake and I were responsible parents and waited it out.

As we walk in we see the first princess is Sleeping Beauty -
Lucy walks right up to her and says "Where's Belle?"

Then the next princess was Jasmine (met her the day before) and the
last was Ariel. Who was cute and did tell Lucy they could be sisters
with their red hair...but she still was asking for Belle (from Beauty and the Beast).

We never saw her but Lucy will have to get over it because we're probably never standing
in that line again.

but knowing her charming ways...we probably will.

I don't know if Caitlin and Brinton wore the same shirts to make
it easier to find each other...or what.
They got Lucy her ears!
Pink princess with her name on the back - of course!

the disney-crazed look

and Brinton's still wearing that hat

kind of dark...but you get the gist

Really, Disney knows how to do it!
The Halloween fireworks were narrated by the beloved Jack Skellington
and they were incredible!
California Adventure had giant candy corns everywhere
and harvest themes right and left.
Everyone helped out with Lucy so
Blake and I could ride everything and it's a good thing
because I'm
sad to admit I was so excited to ride teacups
that when I went to park the stroller...
I left Lucy in it and dashed for the line.

We'll be back soon Mickey!


Next on our trip was the relaxing part of Newport Beach!
We had the most glorious weather and
great beach conditions.


She is an official beach bum.


One of our days we parked our car and took the ferry to
Balboa Island.
I think this part of the trip resulted in the worst fight -
bash sisters!!
Caitlin and I both think we know the ins and outs of California and
on this particular morning we both were bruisin' it up.
I'll spare you the details but I think we'll just agree
that Caitlin IS the queen of Corona...but I know Balboa.

Seriously, this was the worst of it and it wasn't bad at all!
We got over it quick and we're back to co-captains of the
trip later that afternoon when we guided the family truckster
to the delicious Sprinkles cupcakes right before closing.

mom & dad in Balboa

Lucy having a hangry (hungry/angry) moment

Blake got really hungry so he stood at this open window and watched people eat.

Kidding - he was watching the Dodgers - probably lose.


Caitlin and Brinton took a kayak ride while
the rest of us opted for a narrated bay cruise of expensive homes
(duh, who made the wrong choice in this situation)
But while our boat was setting out C & B
paddled by in their kayak.
This really odd, loud, older woman stood up
and saw them and yelled out "heeeeey Malibu!"
Um, okay.

That made it to the top 10 list.
The list of top 10 funniest things said/heard/seen
on the trip.
Brinton made that list by his comment while in line for Space Mountain
"sometimes when I see the time 60 minutes - I think it's two hours".

I know, I'm easily humored.

love my family

and my Luce

we're thinking when we're done renting we might look into this house
but I don't know if I'd be comfortable with touring boats going past everyday.


everything about this trip was the best ~
thanks family for making it the best

and for not throwing my planning binder out the window!

Happy Halloween!

5 comments:

caitlin and brinton said...

Codi-
You got far better photographs than I did on this trip. And your blog post is far better as well. Thanks! I'm glad there were only a few hangry moments and that we all didn't flip out on the Balboa morning. I will admit, you know Balboa (I didn't know it, by default), but I know Corona :)

Lucy is the best and she was such a good girl the whole time. It was really fun & we'll have to plan something new.

Lots of love

Lacey said...

WOW! Looks like you guys had a BLAST! Oh you have to take Lucy back to see Bell! I love that!

Wendie said...

Wish we were walking through the magic gates right now. Such a fun vacation. What's next? Again, thanks for including us in all your fun family activities and sometimes being overbearing with The Bug. Oh and also thanks for all your planning for the trip. It saved us alot of time and we had some great meals.

Love you, Mom

Alisa said...

I ate this up, thanks!

I need to write Brinton's quote down! I love the pic of Luce on the merry-go-round and the one with her "minnies." Speaking of planning, what a wardrobe Luce! I saw those little whales on that belt. And the black swimsuit...

LOVE IT!

Mackenzie said...

Looks like a fantastic trip!!!!

Indeed, "Where's Belle?" We didn't get to see her either. She is my favorite! Halloween is the best time of year to go to Disneyland. We had a great time and it looks like you all did too.

Sometime we will have to ge together and swap planning notes.