Sunday, January 31, 2010

nest

I'm in a nesting mood.
And I'm not pregnant - believe you me.

Every January I think everyone is wiped out from the holidays, picked up the last of the tree needles and is dying for something fresh and new. Since spring is still eons away the next best thing (for me) is to spruce up the house, paint a wall or buy a dozen too many clear glass jars from Taipan.
I love all things home stuff. I love decorating magazines, paint chips and looking the aisles of TJMaxx for really cheap but somewhat luxurious bedding. And lately this obsession with homes and decorating and "nesting" has hit an all time high. I explained to Blake it must be because it's been about 19 months since I've really felt in my home. We put our house up for sale in July of 2008. Our realtor advised getting rid of a lot of decor, a lot of toys and pretty much making our home a house. When you are in the mentality of selling it's hard to get excited about painting a bathroom or buying anything for the yard. And from 11 months on the market we've been renters for 8 months. I'm really not complaining. We're grateful for warmth, shelter and it's been nice to live in someone else's house and take a break from the responsibility of being a homeowner. But we're both more than ready to be back in that role and all of the work it entails.

One thing that really can make a home/decorating lover salivate is a Nancy Meyers film. Can you remember the rooms in Something's Gotta Give ~ The Holiday ~
the nursery in Father of the Bride II?
Yes, well it's all pretty delicious!
That was my main reason for wanting to see her new movie It's Complicated.
The movie ended up being as wonderful as the decor (you really have to see it - and if you want someone to go I'll be happy to see it again!)

here's the kitchen...

and the cozy English cottage in The Holiday

Yes, I'm ready to paint, put away and nest a little cottage of my own.

p.s. I also have this sudden obsession with The Container Store - I've never been very organized but after an hour or so on their website I WANT to be organized. I want everything to have a place and a cute little name tag: flour, safety pins, light bulbs!
If anyone is feeling organize-y and adventurous I'd be up for renting a mini van and driving to the nearest storefront (California) and stocking up or containers galore!



2 comments:

Mackenzie said...

I love the decor in those movies too...especially The Holiday. It makes me want to move to the English countryside and never leave my 500 square foot cottage!!

I would also be up for a road trip to CA to The Container Store. We can make a little side trip and hit Disneyland while we are down there. ;)

kennan said...

come over. i need some inspiration!