Wednesday, June 2, 2010

petticoat junction

The girliest girl...ever.
And although I love all of the twirls, pink, lipgloss, eyelash batting,
singing, dancing, bowing...
it can be exhausting.

Lucy's latest thing is she "thinks" she will only wear skirts, dresses or tutus.
This has caused some major wardrobe arguments and I shudder to
think what will happen when she's...oh I don't know SIX...because at three this little girl has her mind made up.

On Memorial Day I was so excited for madras shorts and yellow Chuck's but Lucy
went ballistic and sobbed "this is a boy's outfit - these are boy shoes!"
I really, really don't know where she got this thing about "boys" but she's using it for everything
"only boys sit in high chairs", "only boys take naps."
After a little talk (and a bribe to wear her Cinderella dress later) she
found a way to wear her horrendous outfit.

This may be coming across as obnoxious but I promise it's not
(well, sometimes for me it is).
Lucy is the sweetest girl ever and just wants to live everyday as a princess.
29 times a day she asks for lipgloss.
I can no longer plop her in a chair to watch cartoons at Gymboree -
she has to be picking out dresses to try on.
She asks if we can go to lunch with Cinderella.
She needs a bow that "matches".
Maybe if I was this girly I would get it - but I'm not
and I really have to be patient and let her be who she is -
a real life Fancy Nancy.

Today was Lucy's last dance class of the year and it was emotional for both of us.
I'm really going to have to get creative to entertain her this summer because a couple weeks of
swimming probably won't cut it.
Dance class has been so fun for both of us. We couldn't have found a better class or teacher.
Miss Julie is a pure delight for Lucy (much more girly than me).
She has learned so much and has been able to spin and twirl to her heart's delight.
Lucy will start classes again in the fall but today was the last class that I got to sit in on.
Once she's in the next class we drop off the girls and pick them up an hour later -
all on her own.
I'm sad I'll miss her looking at herself in the mirror, watching her giggle with her
friends and running to me for a hug at the end of a dance.
But she's a big girl and she'll do just fine.
And even though I'll sob when I leave I'll be okay too.
Thankfully we have a full summer before we have to deal with that
(and possibly preschool - but that's another thing).

This was the face I got when I told her she couldn't wear her pink tutu and her new
costume tutu at the same time...I'm mean.
Lucy's recital is this Saturday and we're beyond excited. All songs are from the new
Princess and the Frog movie and the costume for Lucy's group are amazing!
Stay tuned for that...

yes, she's a princess but we wouldn't have her any other way.

4 comments:

caitlin and brinton said...

She is SO pretty... even in "boy" clothes :)

Wendie said...

The reason Lucy acts like a princess, is because she is a PRINCESS. So very dainty and feminine and yet strong willed, intelligent and opinionated...what could be better.

Sounds like 2 other girls I know (C&C)
Love, Mom

Sheri said...

She is such a sweet Princess! That dance class you have her in seems so amazing. I hope her recital goes well. Love how she knows what she wants. It is hard sometimes being the parent. My Maddie loves to change into dresses about 3 times a day!! :) lol

Natalie said...

I know just what you're going through Codi! Halle is the same way. I had to return some "boy shorts" (khaki bermuda's) for a skirt with sparkles. She got a skirt, but there were no sparkles. I didn't plan on this happening so early on. :)