Thursday, June 16, 2011

a very merry unbirthday!


June 16 ~ four years ago on this date we were finally able to bring our baby girl home!
After 79 long days in the NICU - her bedroom, jammies, puppies and mommy and daddy all ready and waiting.

I remember Dr. Fox calling early one morning - always a sense of dread and panic when the NICU phone number showed up - he said it was time. We had been at the hospital day in and day out for almost three months and for me it had turned into a comfort zone. So a small part of me felt like maybe we weren't ready - but Lucy was and that's all that mattered!

Lucy's latest obsession is everything Alice in Wonderland!! I mean, obsessed. So I guess that means a trip back to Disneyland is in order...we'll see.
But in the meantime I decided to celebrate her 'coming home' day we would do a little family dinner, just the three of us and celebrate Lucy's 'unbirthday'!

I was excited to cook something special for Lucy's dinner but no one around here seems to think I can cook so when asked what she wanted to eat she asked for Chipotle. Okay - easy enough for me.




Nothing special to anyone else ~ but special to our girl!
Her favorite things ~ flowers, balloons, fancy dishes and cupcakes.
And a special night for the three of us to spend together and remember how far our sweet girl has come and how thankful we are for every sparkly speck of her!

3 comments:

caitlin and brinton said...

I LOVE it. She looks so excited :)
Chipotle looks good too. But mostly the Sweet Tooth does.

Lacey said...

WOW! I still can't believe its been 4 years. She looks so happy! I love it! What a lucky little girl to have such a wonderful mommy and daddy! She knew what she was doing when she picked you guys! LOVE YOU

Alisa said...

Awww, this made me cry! It really was the most heartfelt, darling post. That one picture of her standing, looking on so excited... what a girly girl she is and could you ask for anyone more ADORABLE?! Unbirthday. What an idea!

PS I know her due date was within Gemini time and I swear she's got some Gemini in her... maybe a lot in my book, so I feel quite connected to Luce ;)

Love,

Lis