Thursday, July 7, 2011

the 4th is fun

She only wore them for about 20 minutes but I was able to squeeze Lucy's (sock free) feet into these boots for one last wear.

Lucy's big into holidays so we've been talking about fireworks, bbq's, America's birthday for weeks. Finally the day arrived and we headed to my grandma's house for 'grand old flag' party.

Hmmm, who here likes loves holiday costumes?



A backyard "march" is one of my favorite family traditions. My grandpa started this years ago. He would bring out the bag with all of the hats and flags, CRANK up the patriotic music and lead the march around my grandparents' backyard. Oh I miss my grandpa.

But we brought out the bag of hats, grabbed a flag and again cranked up the music! I was so happy to see my Nani march around with us. Just weeks ago she was very, very sick and in the hospital. She is doing much better and I'm so glad she was willing to let us have our party once again in her backyard.


After a couple of loops in the backyard this impromptu (and kind of odd) circle was created. We all just kept marching in place with big, goofy grins across our faces! If that wasn't awkward enough we all decided to take this performance public and head to the front yard.

I love us.

Bobbing for apples. This year the event was timed and Blake and Brinton tied for 2.4 seconds. They were going to have a bob off but after all of our faces swimming in the tub they wisely decided against it.


Coleman! This is the first summer in years he has decided to stay in Utah. Usually he's off to Alaska until the fall but lucky for us he and Calah are local and get to participate in all of these fun family activities. No way is Alaska cooler than that!

This was Calah's first experiencing bobbing and maybe she's already decided on Alaska for next summer :)

Haylie couldn't resist my harassing chants to participate.

We finished out the night with some fireworks and dessert. Lucy declared she loves 4th of July and Halloween (!!) best. Now onto Halloween costume planning...

2 comments:

caitlin and brinton said...

Loved it. So fun! Nani looks cute in that picture, nice documenting. Too bad us ladies suck at bobbing. I love our traditions.

Sheri said...

Family times together and great memories...that is really what the Holiday's are all about. I am so glad I was able to meet Miss Lucy in person this week. My oh my is she such a sweetie! I can see how she has you wrapped right around both your's and Blake's fingers. Pictures do not do her justice. She is so adorable. Thank you so much for attending the viewing. It really meant so much to our family to see you guys and to know that we had so many people's love and support.