Wednesday, July 27, 2011

arts & crafts



When Lucy had her last dance recital in June I worried what would keep her busy or entertained over the summer. We've done a lot of fun things but she needed a class - something to look forward to each week and give her a break from home. So she started a summer art class in June and it has been the best thing ever!

A cute friend of mine helped put the class together (her sister in law is the teacher) and it's saved Lucy this summer. Each week she goes to Annie's house for an hour and a half (plenty of time for a Target run!) and learns about a new artist, has a story, a little snack and brings home plenty of AMAZING pieces of art!


Before this class Lucy would color a little bit but now she is an art master. She's doing elaborate drawings, paintings and her imagination can go crazy on the canvas. Her teacher is truly wonderful and so good with the kids. I can't believe how much Lucy has learned about each of these artists and styles of art.



This was yesterday when I picked Lucy up from class. They learned all about Georgia O'Keefe, studied flowers, made their own magnifying glasses and Lucy ate gobs of watermelon. I swear, sometimes I struggle with getting her to eat but every week at Annie's she shovels in every snack put in front of her.


When I pick Lucy up from class this is usually what I see. Paint hands, huge smile and begging for me to come back and pick her up "in five more minutes." She's in class with one of her besties Amelia and even Amelia will say, "Lucy's mom, we're not ready for you yet." Over the summer we've practiced a lot of writing and recognizing letters and numbers but I also think having more artistic time has helped her writing. Sometimes I'm too uptight about art messes so it's been nice that once a week she can dive in, get messy and be creative.


All of this new original artwork started to take over my fridge so it prompted me to work on a new project the past couple weeks. We've had a playroom downstairs that has been very neglected. Hopefully I'll take care of the finishing touches this weekend and do a post with the playroom makeover.


Lucy's had such a great time in art this summer so I know that preschool will be her dream come true! I'm taking the whole "back to school shopping" a little overboard but it's just as fun for me as for Lucy to pick out a new backpack and cute school shoes. We have just about a month left before she starts and it will be hard in the beginning (for me) I'm sure but seeing how much she loves being in a class, learning and being with friends it will be so worth it.


p.s. if you have any interest in fall art classes let me know and I can put you in touch with Lucy's teacher Annie. She is an accomplished artist and I can't say enough about how amazing these classes have been. She is planning on doing a series of classes in the fall - her house and art space is located in the avenues.



2 comments:

caitlin and brinton said...

I love hearing her talk about Picasso, it's so cute! She's so smart and I can't wait to see how much she loves preschool.

Back to school shopping is the best! I'm jealous.

Alisa said...

This sounds fantastic. Croz LOVES to paint. How many dollahs we talkin'?

Want to see this playroom, Codi!

I love Lucy. I could hang out with her forever.