Friday, December 7, 2007

Favorite song?

I hate the question, "what is your favorite song?" For me it is impossible to answer. I have loved music since birth and that is thanks to my parents. Growing up we would always listen to music. My parents enjoyed a variety of music but some of their favorites we listened to a lot: The Beatles, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, James Taylor, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, and many others. Us kids would all go through our stages of other current, trendy music and our parents always let us listen to what we wanted. Nothing was banned or told to be turned down. I went through my New Kids on the Block stage, my sister loved Eminem, my brother loved and still loves a lot of different music (even the nightmare that is Daft Punk). Now that we're older we all have our individual tastes but are drawn together by the classics my parents brought us up on.

Concerts are a big deal to us. Blake and I want to keep up our concert going habits but not a lot of great bands have come through lately. But when concerts do come around they usually are a family affair. I remember Blake and I saw Stone Temple Pilots with my PARENTS when we were dating. I love that my parents like the classics but know a lot of current stuff too. James Taylor is a family favorite with extended family too. Many of our Sunday dinner conversations are about bands we hope come in concert or reminiscing about concerts past. I'm glad we have this in common and Blake and I can't wait to take Lucy to her first concert. My first concert was Willie Nelson and I think I was 3 or 4.

So back to favorite songs. I love so much music I could never come up with a favorite. So many songs have meanings at certain times. Some days I'm into Jack Johnson or Bob Marley and others I love James McMurtry and Paul Simon. The Rolling Stones are my mom's favorite, The Beatles are my dad's (specifically John Lennon, every year my dad gives him a mini tribute). Blake loves Oasis, John Denver, Death Cab for Cutie and Depeche Mode. I'm very obsessed with Tom Petty every summer and I love Sarah McLachlan in the winter. So whenever I'm asked my favorite song or band (usually by Blake) I just refuse to answer. I do know though that one song will ALWAYS get me to dance, put a smile on my face, drive happier and I'll belt out in the kitchen for Lucy. This song is one of the greatest songs ever and should be played at every social event or party - because it really gets things started - or at least gets me started! Enjoy.

2 comments:

caitlin and brinton said...

HAHA- what a sexy indian! :)
This song really made our wedding dancing bump up a notch. Thanks Redbone

Anonymous said...

What a drab day until...thanks for the pick me up!