Monday, May 19, 2008

Out in the yard...

Last year at this time Blake and I had a pretty set schedule every day. I would visit Lucy in the NICU a couple of times during the day before work and at lunch time. Then in the evenings we would meet at home for dinner while the NICU was closed for shift change and then head up to spend the rest of our evenings there. I don't think we ever complained but it was always bittersweet at night. We were so happy to go and see our bug and hold and cuddle her but it was always sad when we had to say goodnight and make the quiet drive home. Our one major hobby was put on hold last year because Lucy was in the NICU and we didn't care much about anything but her. So our evening and weekend activity of gardening, designing and yard work was put on hold. I think we planted a few flowers but not much else was done. Before last year we spent so much time, energy and money on our yard. One season we even got a letter from the mayor of Woods Cross complimenting our yard. Maybe everyone else on our street got one too but we were so proud it stayed on our fridge until Halloween!




our lovely, working mess

So now that things are back to normal we are able to resume our hobby we love so much! Being in the yard is so therapeutic for us. We love going to nurseries together, sketching plans and walking around in the evening inspecting all of our work. Blake works so hard in the yard. I do better at buying and potting - I could be out potting for hours it's so relaxing. But I have good ideas and we both usually have a similar style. The maintenance part is hard for me but Blake will usually take care of it. (I don't know anyone other than my dad who enjoys pulling weeds - I dare you to find one in his yard!) We were excited to introduce Lucy to our hobby but she seems to just like the shopping part. I took her to J & L Nursery today and even though it was a scorcher and she squinted the whole time she giggled and reached for new plants to touch. But tonight once Blake and I got ready to work she didn't like that she wasn't the center of attention and glared down the new flowers I was doting on. I'm sure after a season or two she'll come around. Maybe next year we'll have a garden area just for her to work in.




last week while I prepped some beds she was happy to be with her books





this morning at the nursery





someone doesn't like flowers






These two pots above were Blake creations or "visions" as he called them. I am so excited to show him what I buy at the nursery and he is so excited to surprise me with his creations. Yay for having something in common!



everything is right with the world when she's with daddy

6 comments:

Lacey said...

That is so cool you have something that you both enjoy. I am sure Lucy will come along!

Annie said...

everything looks beautiful. I tried to keep elliott outside with me yesterday to cut down my dead tulips and he just kept running away.

Oh, the joy of boys outside.

Kim said...

Lucy looks very happy to be outside in your beautiful yard! Congratulations on the letter from the mayor - wow!! Keep up the good work; we need to come see your place, it's been too long.
xoxo Kim

caitlin and brinton said...

I think I like the vision part better too- and leave the work and sweating to Brinton. Your yard looks SO pretty... I love the pink flowers, where are those from?

Alisa said...

I give you guys a lot of credit for being ambitious about the yard. D and I struggle. The ol' dandelions crept up on us and they have been monsters. We just fertilized AGAIN today, so it better kill those suckers!

We want to see you guys too so let's get our act together and do it! I will call you tomorrow?

Would love to see the beautiful yard of yours in person!

Alisa said...

PS That picture of you and Lucy... I know she's scowling or whatever but it kind of looks like a baby model shot.

Anyway, that is the first time that I can REALLY see you in Lucy. You guys are twinners in that picture. I love it, you gorgeous redheads.