Thursday, July 17, 2008

Adventurers we're not...(Lucy and me anyway)

So Blake has been off of work for about a week (for those of you who were confused about the last post, yes, Blake does have another job).  He was offered a great job from Fidelity and after a lot of thought (and many pros and cons lists) he decided to give his notice at Morgan Stanley and start a new adventure with Fidelity.  He's excited and anxious to start his new job next Monday and Lucy and I are excited it's so close (Gateway) so we can finally meet him for lunch!

Anyway...with this time off Blake stated he didn't want it to be wasted away in our family room watching the O.C. dvd's (even though that's always a fine choice of activity) but he wanted to do some fun activities.  So Lucy got all dolled up in something from her mid-summer line with an appropriate bow and the two of us were all geared up for some major shopping with fun lunches.  But our hopes were crashed when Blake said outdoor activities.  Now, I love my back yard and I like drives through nature but I'm not too keen on camping, hiking, bugs and dirt.  Blake said he wanted the three of us to eventually camp for one night this summer and to gear up we'd spend one morning leisurely in the canyon and another day extending the outside time and we'd try fishing.  

Outdoor activity #1 - Millcreek Canyon: I love this canyon because it's close and you walk like two minutes to a picnic table by water.  Usually we'll go up here a few times in the summer and Blake will make a gourmet breakfast or picnic lunch.  This particular morning we just picked up breakfast and took our cute boys (Suki and Wedge) and pretty much had our picnic site to ourselves.  The morning was nice and cool, pretty water and we both got to relax and read the paper while listening to bug girl chat away.  So it seemed to be a success.  But then a couple of hours later while driving home in the canyon I spotted a giant snake slithering across the sunny road.  Before I could tell Blake he hit it (in half!).  I was screaming and covering my eyes and plugging my ears (why do we plug our ears??!) and Blake gave a heeby-jeeby noise and we sped down the canyon 70 mph.  Blake and I both hate snakes more than anything in the world and he was the one speeding down the canyon saying "never mind, I don't want to be outdoors."

Outdoor activity #2 - Smith & Morehouse: We decided to give it another shot.  This time we packed an actual lunch, brought the fishing pole, blankets, camp chairs, everything we could think of for a half day in the mountains.  The drive up was beautiful and by the time we got to Smith & Morehouse to fish there were quite a few good spots people had left.  So Blake hiked down to the lake and unloaded all 17 pieces of our gear.  Lucy and I got our magazines, books, drinks, snacks, sunscreen and shades and found a spot we could sit and eat and visit and watch dad fish.  Well, flash forward NINE minutes later and Blake is hauling all of our stuff back to the car and saying "I can't hang out with you two outside - we're not doing this again!".  The problem with this time were giant ants everywhere and they were getting by Lucy which freaked me out because Lord knows what kind of bites or rash she could get from them and I was all itchy just seeing them climb onto our blankets so after hearing me say "ew, ew, sick, Blake, ew" he was dunzo and we were on our way home.  

So after those two misadventures I told Blake he should take a solo fishing trip because I really did feel bad that he didn't get the experience he wanted.  Lucy and I (and really Blake too) just do better in hotels.  I wish it was different and maybe one day it will be but if we're being honest... 

Instead of throwing a fit and wandering into the woods for a few days alone Blake booked us a night at the Marriott Mountainside Resort in Park City.  We went up yesterday afternoon and enjoyed cool, clear air, a yummy dinner, some outdoor time (the Alpine slide counts) and a nice hotel bed with Lucy-approved linens.  

We're having such a fun summer and I'm so happy Blake chose to spend these days off with his two girls - even if we're not that adventurous!


Millcreek Canyon

you can see it in her eyes - she knows something is lurking (or slithering, rather)

look, we're outdoorsy!

hopefully Lucy will grow up to be a better outdoor girl with her dad


Wedge & Suk - they even miss their A/C and bedding


Smith & Morehouse



love the summer squint



we want hotels!






Park City

Lucy loves to dive into nice linens

this pic is a little dark but she looks so cute and is getting ready to swim.  We left the camera in the room while we swam so no swim pics.


giggling for tortillas and guac!

weee!

lounging pool side in the evening.  I rode the Alpine slide and then switched off and Blake rode the Alpine coaster - it was too scary for me.  I love the slide but it's not the same when you ride the tram solo and have no one to race down the mountain.  Oh well, it was still fun!


bug and daddy 

a cool treat

my scrumptious girl!!

4 comments:

Lacey said...

WOW! That sounds like a fun adventure for your cute fam. I can't wait to get out of my house and do some fun stuff! Hopefully we will get to this year. Tim has his hands full this year.

Alisa said...

I would say all of those activities add up to equal adventurous.

I had no idea all of that is what lead up to the Marriott stay!

Too sad we missed you ):

That cream and brown shirt and brown bow... she looks so cute in. I want to see Lucy again!

Cute post, and be there or be square tomorrow!

Love you guys,
Lis

Ha, ha this word verification says "bug." He he.

caitlin and brinton said...

Although I'm not an outdoor elitist I hope I can steal Lucy away enough times to make her LIKE being outside.

The Marriott looks delightful- I am jealous.

We should do the Millcreek breakfast extravaganza in the next couple weeks.

Kim said...

Loved reading about your outdoor adventures! I have to say the Marriott looked mighty inviting after the ant attack you experienced! Such cute pictures!! Tell Blake good luck in his new job; he'll be great.
xoxo Kim