Sunday, November 16, 2008

BLAST from my past!


Last night was a trip down memory lane.  Memories of: 12 years old and being so in love with Donnie from New Kids on the Block; of Bop magazine and clip outs of the New Kids all over my closet doors; giant pins with the New Kids faces; the first time I saw them in concert with my friend Nikki and crying because we loved them so much; Nikki and I doing voluntary "reports" on the state of Massachusetts (their home state), we'd have charts of the state bird, capital, populations, etc.; and memories of a time when everything seemed like the biggest deal in the world and every lyric to their songs meant SO MUCH to a 12 year old...

Well thank goodness I grew up!  But last night was still one of the best concerts I've been to, really.  When I heard of the reunion tour it sounded fun for a minute but then I doubted they'd come to Salt Lake.  When they announced they were I was intrigued until I saw the tickets were around $70.  I thought I'd bag it at that price but my friend Nikki said we owed it to the New Kids.  Nikki and I have been friends since 2nd grade - we've been through so much together including our infatuation of New Kids.  Well, when tickets weren't selling and the price dropped to $20. I figured I couldn't pass that up.  So we got our tickets and started counting down.  Well a few days ago my sister called laughing uncontrollably saying she got an email that all of the tickets to New Kids were now FREE!  She thought I was ridiculous for going in the first place but she was THREE when they were my everything (and hello Caitlin, but I'm sure you'd pay $100. for lame-o N'Sync).  Since the concert became free and she thought it was funny Caitlin signed up for the free tickets and of course her FREE tickets were the best seats ever and a major upgrade from our $20. tickets - so bonus for me!

The show was amazing!  Kind of cheesy of course and some wonderful people watching but still the New Kids, or NKOTB have such smooth dance moves and their voices sounded really good.  For having to give away free tickets most of the E Center was full and my ears didn't stop ringing until this morning because the screams were so loud.  And I'll admit, I still don't have much of a voice this morning.  

Anyway, it was such a fun night.  Fun to reminisce with one of my closest friends, fun to dance with my sister to songs she's never heard (but she did have a good time) and fun to just not worry about anything for a night and get lost in the craziness of being 12 years old again.  

highlight of the night, Hangin' Tough as an encore and EVERYONE did the arm motions!

thanks for the memories Nik!

still love ya Donnie - even in white pants

yama hama - thanks Jordan

the newly converted fans - Cait & Leslie 

lucky for Caitlin she has a really cool sister

You Got It (the Right Stuff)!!

7 comments:

Alisa said...

Okay, I remember when the song Hangin' Tough gave me chills. But then again I was the 8-year-old who SLEPT with her NKOTB cassette tape. I really did.

Oh man, too bad I missed out I should have taken advantage of the free ticket thing but I had to be at the art show and then that got cancelled and so my parents had C... I could have come! Oh well, thanks for letting me live it through you (:

PS I was laughing so hard about your Mass. state reports!

Annie said...

Oh my gosh, how cheesy are you?

Glad you had fun. There was no way I could have done it - even if I still totally love Jordan Knight.

caitlin and brinton said...

I HEART NKOTB! They were AWESOME... cheesiest night ever though. Donnie has my heart, just like Marky Mark. My favorite part was watching you freak out over them, soooo awesome. It was fun! I might all of a sudden be in love with Joey, or whatever his name is, too.

Lacey said...

I wish we could have sit with you, but when they came to the middle the floor I was very HAPPY to be where we were!!! Ok I am in love with Donnie and Joey. True love never goes away! I am so glad I got to take advantage of the free tickets! And seeing Kylee freak out about them was PERFECT!

Am-Biance said...

HA,that is so funny Codi...I think it's great you went :) Gotta love the New Kids!! Love the pic's...

Jackie Sanders said...

What! Free! How do people find out about these things?
It looks like SO much fun!
And that you are feeling pretty good! (hopefully)

Anonymous said...

I have to admit I'm a little jealous! I'm glad you had a good time. :)