Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Volunteer

Tonight I had my first experience volunteering with the Parent Support Group at the NICU.  I started the application process months ago and it took some time to complete everything but I think I had been putting it off for even longer on my own out of fear.  I think I was just nervous that I'd have major flashbacks and be a blubbering mess.  That's okay if I'm like that in private but not when I'm supposed to be "supporting" parents who are actually going through the process right now.  

Anyway, I went and it was such a good experience.  No blubbering at all!  I shared Lucy's story and our NICU experience with the group and listened and offered answers to the parents.  The Wednesday night meeting is a chance for parents to get out of the unit, listen to a topic  and share their story along with other parents.  Our role as volunteers is to share our story, listen and offer support.  Obviously everything shared is confidential but I can say there are some very small babies in the NICU and some families who have spent many days out there.  I can only feel grateful that we are past that point in our lives.  I hope that I will be able to help someone at some point during volunteering as much as I was helped and supported during our experience.

Even though the NICU unit is vastly different at the new IMC than it was at LDS the smell of the soap is the same and walking into the unit so many memories came flooding back.  I noticed the same sign-in clipboard on the counter and a few familiar nurses starting the night shift.  I came home and couldn't help from racing up the stairs to take a peek at my sleeping bug, all snug in her bed, and I felt so happy I don't have to leave her at nights at the NICU anymore.  Then I let the blubbering start... :)

4 comments:

Alisa said...

I've been meaning to ask you if you were going to do the volunteering... that is GREAt you are doing it. I am fascinated with smells and memories.

caitlin and brinton said...

I am so proud of you- even though the NICU experience wasn't hoped for or ideal, I think it made you a stronger person and it's great to hear that you're taking the leap to help other people who are going through the stress you had to go through. I think if I were a parent with a NICU baby, you would be someone I'd love to help me through it and you have so much knowledge (probably from all that obsessive question-asking and research!), I'm sure that's very comforting to families.
Love you-

Kim said...

Codi,
What a wonderful service you are providing to these parents who are going through what you did! It is such a good feeling to help someone else and your compassion will make a difference in their lives and the struggles they face at this time.
xoxo Kim

Anonymous said...

I'm really proud of you, Codi. I know you are going to help a lot of people. I love you!