Monday, September 15, 2008

Zoo baby!

Saturday we went to the zoo with my family for my dad's work zoo day.  It was a bEaUtIfuL day for the zoo and we all had so much fun.  Comparing this visit to Lucy's last was like the zoo for the first time.  She was so interested in a lot of the animals and watched and mimicked some of their moves and sounds.  On our way up we got her to say a pretty close version of zoo - zjhoo.  Very cute!
At the leopard exhibit Lucy was standing right up against the glass and the leopard paced back and forth turning to stop each time he reached Lucy.  It made me a tad queasy thinking he was thinking of her for lunch but each time he passed Lucy she let out this squeal/shriek.  We all thought it was really cute until we realized she was starting to get really spooked by him too. 
For my dad's party they had a small animal show come to our pavilion.  The three small animals we got were an armadillo, giant turtle/tortoise and our worst nightmare - a black mamba snake.  Luckily Lucy has brave grandparents who let her touch and visit with each animal.  But her true instincts came out when she saw the snake - she didn't like him too much.  We had a great visit and Lucy had a blast!  In my opinion Hogle Zoo is a great place and if you live in Salt Lake County I hope you'll vote to Renew the Zoo!

baby colobus monkey - so cute!

baby giraffe following its mom

Lucy, grandpa and a rhino in back

we loved the new carousel - this turn it was Caitlin and the praying mantis



meeting an armadillo 

and an old turtle named Trucker - we have no pictures of her meeting the snake because Blake and I were hiding (and crying)

this turn daddy and the polar bear - polar bears can come back to Hogle if you Renew the Zoo!



fun day!

5 comments:

Lacey said...

I am so glad you posted. What a fun and busy few weeks. This is such a fun age I thought. I love when they start having their own little personalities!

Annie said...

Um...I think Elliott and I need a play date soon.

What is the busy bugs schedule (and her mama) like in the next two weeks or so?

caitlin and brinton said...

Thanks so much for letting me crash you and mom/dad's zoo day... it was a lot of fun and I am now dreaming of kettle corn (completely eaten by Brinton) and ice cream! Lucy's outfit was the cutest ever..

Wendie said...

Thanks for letting us take Lucy to the zoo. It was a perfect, beautiful day. We had so much fun. I can't believe that little bug lasted for 5 hours. Happy every minute. I must correct you though, Codi. Contrary to what Blake told you, it was not a black Mamba (although it was black). They are deadly poisonous. Looking forward to our next outing. Love, Mom

Kim said...

What a perfect day to enjoy the zoo! So glad you all were able to be there with Lucy. What adorable pictures of her; especially the one where she is eating, love that darling profile! xoxo Kim