Monday, June 2, 2008

Baby birds!

So I was beginning to think that the robin who built a nest above our porch light was not nesting for eggs but just a young single gal wanting a place of her own. It's been a month since I last posted about the nest she was building and there have been no signs of any babies. We've been tempted to get a ladder and peek up into the nest but in case there were eggs I didn't want to disturb them. But finally tonight Blake came in and said "there's babies"! I ran outside and saw this cute little family enjoying the sunset together.



It looks like three babies and one mean mama! I'm so excited they are here and I guess because I'm always obsessing about Lucy's calories and eating enough I started to think what I could set out for them to eat tonight. But I'm sure Ms. Robin will take care of her babes just fine.



Caw-caw! This kind of looks like a little bird with her mouth open waiting for food too!

7 comments:

Lacey said...

How fun to have all those babies. How do they all fit in there? Ok I love the picture or Lucy!

Kim said...

Pretty exciting to have nature literally at your front door! You guys are brave to get close to that nest; some of those Mama birds get angry!! Just remember Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds." That show still freaks me out!!!!
xoxo Kim

caitlin and brinton said...

Those bird babies are creeping me out- maybe in a few weeks when they start getting bigger they'll build a whole colony in your yard or something. You're lucky... I put out bird seed for the birds at my house and they're too scared to get near my house so the food will likely end up in Niko's mouth somehow, instead.

Alisa said...

Those birds don't look real, are you sure? Kidding... that is crazy! How cute. I bet they're loud.

Wendie said...

I love the baby birds and their protective mama. So cute! Codi, remember when we called you "little bird"? Probably not. You were just a baby and would hold your little mouth open waiting to be fed. The picture of Lucy really reminds me of that. So sweet. Love, Mom

Jackie Sanders said...

OH my heavins! Those cute little birds, and your darling Lucy.
(By the way, this is Audreys sister, Jackie)
We have a little Lucy as well, and I must say yours is pretty dang cute!
I can't believe those birds. I had to read to see if it was real, or just some crazy image from Google.
How fun!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! They will be a lot of fun to watch, I'm sure!